DUI penalties in Florida are among the most severe in the country. They cannot be expunged, and stay on your record for 75 years. Furthermore, the legal and administrative penalties can be exceptionally harsh, depending to some extent on the judge. If you have been arrested for a DUI in Florida, make your first phone call to the experienced Bradenton DUI attorneys at the Fowler Law Group.
Even first-time offenders face grave consequences in Florida, including potential jail time. Depending on the facts of any given case, first-time offenders potentially face:
- Up to six months in jail if you refuse a breath test or if you register a blood alcohol level (BAC) below .15 with no crash involved.
- Up to nine months in jail if you have a BAC of .15 or higher or were driving with a minor in the vehicle.
- Up to 12 months jail time for a DUI car crash.
- Loss of your driver’s license for a minimum of six months and a maximum of one year.
- Fines and fees of $500 to $1,000, or $1,000 to $2,000 if a minor is in the vehicle or your BAC is .15 or higher.
- An ignition interlock for at least six months if your BAC is .15 or higher. An ignition interlock is not required for a refusal or a BAC below .15.
- A minimum of 50 hours of community service or payment of an additional $10 for each hour of required community service.
- Impoundment or immobilization of your vehicle for 10 days.
- DUI School.
Repeat offenders receive very little compassion from Florida’s DUI laws or most judges. Penalties can range from:
- A minimum of 10 days in jail to a felony charge with up to five years in state prison.
- Loss of your driver’s license for a minimum of six months to permanent revocation with no eligibility for a hardship reinstatement.
- Fines and fees of $1,000 to $5,000.
- An ignition interlock for a minimum of one year to a minimum of two years.
- No minimum amount of community service; in other words, it’s up to the judge.
- Impoundment or immobilization of your vehicle for 10 days up to 90 days.
- DUI School.
Our Bradenton DUI Attorneys Can Help if You’ve Been Charged With Dui in Florida
DUIs are currently trending down, arguably because Florida’s penalties for DUIs are so harsh. Nonetheless, if you’ve been arrested for a DUI in Florida, let the Bradenton DUI attorneys at The Fowler Law Group help. Our experienced DUI defense attorneys will guide you through the complex DUI process, handle your defense with understanding, and work with you to obtain the best possible outcome. Please contact us online.